Welcome to the 2011 New York City Barefoot Run!
If you came last year, then you know that the NYCBR is more than just a race. It is a weekend of educational, social, and athletic events for the growing barefoot running community – curious beginners as well as seasoned experts.
• Attend clinics on barefoot running, walking, posture, and natural movement
• Hear lectures and talks by this year’s Kudus
• Try out the latest minimalist shoes and products at the Minimalist Running Expo
• Have a beer with the Kudus
• Meet members of the barefoot running community
• Run a new type of race (not your traditional 5k/10k)
• Run wild on an island in the middle of New York Harbor (there will be a Kids’ Run too)
The NYCBR will take place in New York City on the weekend of September 24-25, 2011.
• Saturday, September 24th, 2011 (all day): Clinics, talks, and lectures – Lower Manhattan
• Sunday, September 25th, 2011 (morning): The Run – Governors Island, NYC
Detailed schedule here.
The Run is being held at historic Governors Island in New York Harbor. Governors Island is just a five-minute ferry ride from lower Manhattan (ferry provided), with stunning views of the lower Manhattan skyline, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Brooklyn Bridge, and Brooklyn. The island is 2.1 miles around, flat, and no car traffic.
Bored with the same old 5k/10k? So are we. Run Your Distance (RYD) is a new run format where everyone starts together, and then each person runs the distance they’re able to run. It accommodates beginners and experts, and it forces runners to listen to their bodies to decide when to stop. Last year we had people walk 2 miles, and we had someone run 28 miles.
We’re also bored with the old “run and done”: pound out some miles, get a bad t-shirt, scarf a banana, and go home. Think of the NYCBR as more of a party, with a run beforehand.
The entry fee for the weekend is $75. The fee will increase closer to the event, so register now.
Entry fee includes access to all NYCBR events (clinics, talks, the run), a tech tee (not just a cotton t-shirt), beer/wine (21 and over) discounts on sponsor apparel, ferry ride to and from Governors Island, and food and beverage at the Run.