Welcome to the New York City Barefoot Run!
Official events begin Saturday morning (Sept. 24) and finish Sunday afternoon (Sept. 25). Events on Saturday and Sunday are within walking distance of each other (map here). We have posted below the plan for each event in case of rain. Check back here for any updates due to weather.
Can’t find your registration confirmation? Look for an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org”
What to bring: Jacket (for cool weather and rain), ID (for all events), cash, camera, shoes (as a back-up for those who come barefoot), and snacks (if you have special dietary requirements)
Friday, September 23
Saturday, September 24
• 10am, 10:30, 11, 11:30, 12noon, 12:30, 1, 1:30, 2pm – VIVOBAREFOOT barefoot running clinics (Battery Park lawn; closest entry is Bridge/State intersection. Enter the park, and it’s the lawn on your left – next to the Urban Farms). In case of rain: If it’s a light rain, we’ll still plan to meet at Battery Park as planned. VIVOBAREFOOT has small tents to protect backpacks – and we’ll run in the light rain. If the weather is more severe, check back here for updates.
- 45 minutes in length, repeated on the half hour (only need to attend one, though welcome to participate in multiple to experience different coaching styles or get more practice)
- Coaches are VIVOBAREFOOT-certified coaches from around the world and select kudus
- Friends/family welcome
- No time slot sign-up required
• 6-10:30pm – Merrell Barefoot Party (South Street Seaport, Pier 17, 3rd Floor Atrium) (Note: Event is indoors and on a covered outdoor deck, so not affected by rain)
- 6-7:30pm: Minimalist Expo, beer/wine, packet pick-up
- 7:30 – 9:15: Kudu talks / panels
- Transitioning to Barefoot (Robillard, Saxby, Sandler, Cucuzzella)
- An ancient training technique (McDougall)
- Posture (Gokhale)
- Barefoot running in India (Anantharaman)
- Barefoot Running and injury (Lieberman)
- “Before it was cool” (Barefoot Ken Bob, Howell)
- Future directions (Barefoot Ted, Le Corre, Durant)
- 9:15 – 10:30: Q&A, Minimalist Expo, beer/wine, packet pick-up
- Guest policy: Family/friends of registered participants who are traveling to NYC from out-of-town may attend the Merrell Barefoot Party for $25 (cash) – but will not receive a packet/tech tee. Kids are free.
- NOTE: Dinner is not included, however there will be two “food trucks” (BBQ, brisket, eggplant) at the event, as well as a food court open until 9pm (mostly fast food, but salads too)
Sunday, September 25
In case of rain: Unless the weather is severely bad, we’ll plan to take the ferries to Governors Island. We have an indoor space reserved near the ferry dock to stay dry. Participants can run in the rain – and dry off inside. If the weather looks bad, check back here for updates.
• 7:30, 7:50: 2 ferries to Governors Island (revised from earlier posting). We will also have a “latecomers” one at 8:10, though you should plan to get on the regular ones) (Governors Island Ferry Building, 10 South St, NYC)
- Ferries are chartered by NYCBR (the island won’t be open to the public yet) – and cost is included in registration fee
- Packet pick-up will be available for those who were able to attend the night before
- Friends/family are welcome to join as spectators
- Once arrive on Governors Island (Soissons Dock), walk to Picnic Point (approx 15 minutes)
• 8:30am: Welcome, group picture, start the run (Picnic Point, Governors Island)
- Multiple ways to run: sprint, walk, run forwards, run backwards…
- Luna Sandals rickshaws
• 10:00-12noon (Picnic Point, Governors Island)
- More running (for those who want to…)
- Kids’ Run
- More Luna Sandals rickshaws
- Injinji beer garden (snacks / beer)
- …and more!
• Ferries from Governors Island to Manhattan (Soissons Dock, Governors Island to Governors Island Ferry Building, 10 South St, NYC)
- Public ferries (not specific to NYCBR)
- Ferries are expected to be every 30 minutes, start at 10:30am. Schedule should be confirmed here
- No charge